Subscribe to our newsletter

Ljubljana Unveils €36 Million State-of-the-Art Biotech Hub

Slovenia's capital, Ljubljana, proudly unveiled its new €36 million Biotech Hub, marking a significant milestone in the nation's journey towards advanced scientific research and innovation

In a significant stride towards bolstering its scientific infrastructure, Slovenia inaugurated the cutting-edge Biotech Hub in Ljubljana on February 12, representing a substantial €36 million investment aimed at enhancing research and innovation capabilities.

Maja Ravnikar, the esteemed director of the National Institute of Biology, heralded the opening as heralding a “new era of scientific exploration, innovation, and business collaboration,” during the ceremony. The Biotech Hub, known formally as BTS-NIB, is poised to revolutionize the institute’s research landscape, facilitating exceptional research, the integration of advanced equipment, and fostering both international and local collaborations with academia, government, and industry.

Ravnikar expressed confidence in the hub’s potential to propel the institute to the forefront of addressing critical challenges in sustainability, biodiversity conservation, and health. Igor Papič, the Minister for Higher Education, Science, and Innovation, echoed this sentiment, emphasizing the hub’s role in streamlining research efforts through superior facilities and equipment.

Maja Ravnikar

The BTS-NIB stands as a beacon of the forthcoming innovation wave in Slovenian science and research, with the ministry earmarking an impressive €500 million for similar initiatives. In a groundbreaking move, the ministry has also devised a strategy dedicated to greener research infrastructures, with a substantial budget of €2 billion.

The project, which broke ground in the summer of 2021 and saw its first phase conclude in the autumn of 2022, now houses the departments of biotechnology, systems biology, genetic toxicology, and cancer biology. The final phase was completed in the autumn of 2023, welcoming the department for organisms and ecosystem research.

Moreover, the hub’s resources, including its state-of-the-art premises and equipment, extend to the Marine Biology Station Piran, highlighting the inclusive vision behind this venture. The European Union’s Cohesion Fund contributed an impressive 80% of the funding, with the remaining 20% sourced from the national budget.

Beyond its primary research focus areas such as environmental science, climate change, and health, the BTS-NIB is set to become a global hub for specialized training courses, marking a new chapter in Slovenia’s scientific ambition.

Must Read

UNDP Backs Launch of Bosnia and Herzegovina’s First Interactive Solar Atlas

In a significant move towards renewable energy, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Bosnia and Herzegovina has facilitated the launch of the country's...

Milica Uraz, CEO, Steel Impex

Transform Waste into a Valuable Resource